Sunglasses for Small Faces
How to Choose Sunglasses for Small Faces –
If you have a small face, finding sunglasses that fit properly can be tricky. Here are some tips that can help you find the perfect pair of sunglasses:
- Look for frames that are proportionate to your face: Check frame measurements and avoid oversized frames as they can overwhelm your features. Instead, opt for smaller frames for the right fit.
- Choose frames with a snug fit: Look for frames that fit snugly around your temples and the bridge of your nose. This will prevent them from sliding down your face or feeling too loose.
- Consider the shape of the frame: Choose a frame shape that complements the shape of your face. For instance, if you have a round face, go for square or rectangular frames, and if you have a square face, go for rounded frames.
- Check the dimensions: Pay attention to the dimensions of the frames, including the lens width, bridge width, and temple length. Look for frames with smaller measurements to fit your face better.
- Try them on: It’s always a good idea to try on sunglasses before purchasing them to see how they look and feel on your face. Make sure to test the fit and look at yourself in different lighting conditions to get a good sense of how they’ll look in various situations. Use our virtual try-on feature, for starters!
What Size Should Sunglasses Be for Small Faces?
If you have a small face, you may have given up on finding the perfect fit in sunglasses, but there are glasses made for you! While there isn’t one exact size to always look for, there are some guidelines to follow to make sure you’re not choosing frames that will overwhelm your face. Let’s go over the key frame measurements of sunglasses to help you find the best sunglasses for your face size.
The most important frame measurement to look at when shopping to suit a smaller face, is the lens width. This is also called the A measurement and is the first number in the size (e.g. the 47 in 47-21-145). Lens width is measured at the widest point of the lens. Typically sizes 52 and under fit small faces well.
If you’ve ever put on a pair of shades and had them sit right on your cheeks, you know that the vertical height of the lens is also critical for those of you with small faces. Use our virtual try-on feature to get a sense of the best lens height for the right fit for you.
Once you’ve found a lens size that fits you well, consider the bridge. This is the part that goes across your nose. If you have a particularly narrow bridge, metal sunglasses may be your best options since you can adjust the nosepads to keep the frames from sliding down your nose.
Temple, or arm, length tends to be longer on sunglasses than your regular glasses. This makes it easier to take them on and off. If you find temples are too long for a comfortable fit, they are easy to adjust. Our metal temples are easy to bend yourself to hug your ear. With acetate frames, just visit an optical shop where the optician can heat and adjust the temples for you.
A Tailored Fit
Like seeing a tailor to get the absolute best fit in a suit or dress, visiting an optical shop to professionally adjust your frames gives a custom fit to your sunglasses.
Frames That Fit Small Faces
If you have a small face, you should look for sunglasses that are proportional to your face size. We’ll expand on some of the most flattering shapes for women and men with small faces but remember that it’s important to try on different styles and sizes of sunglasses to find those that flatter your individual face shape and size the most.
Women’s Sunglasses for Small Faces
- Oval sunglasses are a great choice for women as they can broaden the face bringing balance to small faces. Look for frames that are not too wide or too narrow for the right fit.
- Cat-eye sunglasses are a timeless classic that can give you a feminine and elegant look. Go for frames that are narrow and have a slight upsweep at the outer corners.
- Round sunglasses can soften sharp facial features and add a playful touch to your outfit. Look for frames that are slightly smaller in size, so they don’t overwhelm your face.
Men’s Sunglasses for Small Faces
- Rectangular sunglasses can be very flattering to small faces, when you find the right fit. Don’t go too wide or too narrow, look for a frame that is roughly the same width as your face and it will help balance your features.
- Square sunglasses can add structure to your face and give you a bold look. Look for frames that are slightly smaller in size, so they don’t overpower your small face.
- American Optical aviator sunglasses are a great choice as they are available in multiple sizes. For small faces, opt for the 52 eye size so the frames don’t overpower your face.
Frames to Avoid When Choosing Sunglasses for Small Faces
There are certain sunglasses that you may want to avoid, as they can overwhelm your face and throw off your proportions. Stay away from:
- Oversized sunglasses: Oversized sunglasses are generally not recommended for people with small faces, as they can make your face look even smaller by covering up too much of your face.
- Wide or thick frames: Wide or thick frames can overpower a small face and make it look even smaller. Look for frames that are thinner and more streamlined.
- Heavy embellishments: Sunglasses with heavy embellishments, such as large logos or bulky accents, can look overwhelming on a small face. Opt for simpler, more streamlined frames.
Following these guidelines should help you find the perfect fit American Optical sunglasses for your face size. Rules are meant to be broken though, so check out our virtual try-on with any style you like and remember you can count on free shipping and returns within the US to try out a new look.
We’re here to help as well. If you have any questions about which style would look best on you or are looking for the total width of a frame, contact us.